This week we are working on the /ou/ blend. /ou/ as in ‘shout’ or ‘mouth’. I have sent home new orange sound mats so you can practise at home as well.
We are also working on the story of 9 and have started a new story, The Little Red Hen.
I will also be sending home sight words this week. We have already practised these in school but they should continue to be practised as part of homework.
All for now.
We have been working on the /oo/ digraph. It makes two different sounds depending on the word. Think of /oo/ as in ‘balloon’ and /oo/ as in ‘cook’.
We have also been discussing time in Maths. We begin with the seasons, days of the week, day time, night time etc. We will look at the clock later in the year.
Finally, we had a great day today at the cake sale!
Thank you to Mairéad for the photos!
This week and next week we will be working on the /ai/ digraph as in ‘rain’ and ‘pain’.
We have also introduced the + and = symbols in Maths and we are working on basic addition sums.
We have had our first visit to the spooky room and had fun discussing all of the Halloween traditions and characters.
New sight words went home today. These are the first of the Senior Infant words and as usual should be learned off by heart. You should also have enough sight words to make simple sentences if you feel that your child needs to be challenged.
We are still participating in Be Well Month with a slight delay. This week was supposed to be about being mindful. Since our week was so short, we will extend it to next week as well. Ms. Cawley will be doing a yoga session with us and we will be doing meditation and taking mindful moments throughout the week.
A note about the school closure – On Monday and Tuesday of this week, all schools were instructed to close as a safety precaution. This decision was made by the Department of Education.
Lastly, I would like to thank everyone who came to our PIP meeting on reading yesterday. The children love to see you come in and it’s a chance for you to have a look around their classroom.
If anyone has thought about volunteering any morning to help with folders, please let me now.
All for now.
We are working on the /th/ blend. This blend can make two different but similar sounds – /th/ as in ‘them’ and /th/ as in ‘thunder’. We are working on both sounds this week. This is a tricky blend so please practise and identify /th/ words at home.
We will shortly be finished sending home Junior Infant sight words for revision and moving to the Senior Infant sight words which we have already been working on in class. I am uploading a full list of these SI words just in case any words cards get lost. You can use the list to replace any missing word cards.
New sight words will be sent home weekly. As usual, they have to be learned off by heart as they are words which don’t follow the rules and/or appear frequently in reading.
We are into our second week of Be Well Month. This week we are looking at healthy foods. Children with healthy lunches will get a sticker for remembering our healthy lunches policy!
All for now!
We have a new dramatic play centre for Aistear – the hibernation shop!
Children will take on the roles of shopkeeper, customer, manager and run their shop!
Next week we will move on to the /sh/ blend and we will be revising 2D shapes in Maths. We will also be doing more activities based on the theme of Autumn 🍂
All for now!
A slight change has been made to the sounds homework. Instead of sticking the new Senior Infants sounds into the orange copy, I will be sending home a ‘sound mat’. The sound for the current week will be indicated with a date stamp or label. This is the sound we will be working on in class for that week.
For example, on the week of the 25th September we will be working on /ch/. On the week of the 2nd October we will be working on /sh/.
Please let me know if you have any queries.
So far this year we have continued with the Junior Infant homework of a fun book and Grow in Love on a Thursday. Starting Monday, there will be changes!
Your child will have:
– Their sounds copy- we will have a new blend each week once we start them. /ch/ will be the first blend. Currently we are revising JI sounds.
– A bag of sight words- New words will be added weekly. We are currently revising the JI sight words.
– A letter formation guide- This is to be used to remind children of the correct letter formation. It could also be used to practise letter formation with a dry wipe marker if you feel that is something which your child should practise.
– Maths copy – This is used on Monday and Tuesday night. On Monday, practise writing the first number (1). On Tuesday, practise writing the second number (2).
– English copy – This is used on Wednesday and Thursday night. On Wednesday, practise the first letter (s). On Thursday, practise the second letter (a).
– Grow in Love – As usual, this book will go home on Thursday night.
– Reader – When your child brings home a reader, it should be read by the child with guidance from an adult. Encourage the child to track their reading by putting their finger under the word and remind him/ her to use their sounds. No child is bringing home a reader yet and some children may continue to practise sight words and sounds before I send home a reader.
– Fun book- A new library book will be sent home weekly. This will have been chosen by the child and can be read any night during the week. It should be read by an adult for fun – perhaps at bed time.
There will also be an information note in your child’s folder to explain homework. It is a big change from last year so if you have a query about homework, please come and see me.
All for now!